If you are a layman, new to website creating, this article will provide you with clear step-by-step instructions on how to build your very first website and make it thrive on the Internet.
1. Acquire a domain name.
The very first thing to do is to buy a domain name for your future website. This can be done by paying a fixed annual fee to a registrar for the right to temporarily use that name.
- Here you might find a few useful ideas on How to Pick a Good Domain Name for Your Website
- Don’t know how to register a domain name? This post contains all the information you need!
2. Find a suitable web-hosting service.
Finding a web host to place your future website on is the next important step. There are many essential criteria to be considered when choosing the right web hosting service. Need help with picking up a great web host for your future website? This post will have all the answers to your questions!
Once you’ve found it, you will need to register an account.
3. Design your website.
You can skip this one if you hire a professional web designer to do the job for you. Don’t have enough experience and skills in creating websites? Start with publishing at least anything on the web and you can fine-tune it later!
- Use WYSIWYG web editor if you don’t want to delve into technical details much but rather focus on the visual part of the process.
- If you don’t mind spending a few extra bucks and buy a commercial web editor or a parental controls app, we suggest that you try Dreamweaver. This feature-rich web design tool is highly recommended by webmasters around the globe. This step-by-step tutorial will take you through the whole process of creating a website with the help of Dreamweaver!
4. Test the website.
Testing your website means making sure visitors who use different browsers can see your website equally well. Check out how your website is seen in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari and Chrome.
You can also take time to validate the code for your web pages, which means to make sure your HTML or CSS source code does not contain any syntax errors. Use one of the existing web page validators to do that!
- The majority of web page validators can only tell you that there is a problem. However, if you try hard, you can even find a validator that will do as much as fix those problems for you!
5. Make your website searchable and noticeable.
Once your website is ready, it is time to let people know about it. Submit your website to search engines using one of the following links:
Another way to make your website known is to promote it. There are methods people use that include advertising, PR campaigns, SEO, SMM etc.
Here you will learn more about how to increase the rating of your website and make people notice it.